School management

Kumasi Islamic SHS incident: School management also responsible for injuries – Security Analyst

Security analyst Dr. Adam Bonaa blamed the losses incurred during the protest by the students of the Islamic High School on the institution’s leadership.

In an interview on JoyNews Top StoryOn Monday, he said School officials should also be held accountable for the incident.

He asked if the school administration had notified the police of the demonstration.

“When did management release the children onto the streets to protest? Did they go through the process of informing the police and did they receive a response?”

His assertion was in reaction to an incident that resulted in 25 students hospitalized after police allegedly opened tear gas on them. The students were protesting the frequent pedestrian accidents in front of the school.

In response, Dr Adam Adam Bonaa was outraged at the police treatment of students during the protest, describing their action as despicable.

He postulated that the police department failed to follow its standard operating procedures for crowd control. Dr. Bonaa noted that the situation was being mishandled by the area’s police department.

“If the protocols were followed, you would see that the young children were not attacking the police at all in any form, and so shooting and throwing tear gas canisters at these children, some of them might be 12, 13 year old don’t have stronger lungs.

“I saw pictures like something like spent shells, tell me they [Police] could have used lethal bullets to deliver the warning shots,” he said.

According to him, “it beats my imagination for these children who requisitioned them? Who sent those trigger-happy cops to high school to bully those kids? ” He asked.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Dr. George Akuffo Dampare has assured students and school management that he will look into the conduct of police officers deployed to control crowds during their protest.

Dr George Akuffo-Dampare, speaking to students on Monday after the incident, said investigations would be carried out into the matter to ensure the necessary action was taken.